Thursday, July 10, 2008

Once upon a slime


I had an idea of a story that explored the relationship between slugs and snails. I know they're closely related, but what happened to make one branch of the family become different?
Did they begin as shell-dwelling creatures and one faction cast off their shell or was it the other way round - squishy creature fancies getting a caravan?
It felt like a good basis for a story, but then I started working on the characters and things went a bit daft.
I realised that snails and their shells offer far more potential for development and I flung myself into a maelstrom of molluscy mucus - drawing snails.
I've done twelve so far. The pirate is one of my favourites. He would've been a key character in the story - if it had got written.

I have to confess, I did get a bit carried away when I started working on the sports range.
Taking the ball and turning that into the snail's shell and adding other aspects of the particular sport, I could turn any sport that uses a ball or into a snail. I even gave the sporty snails a name of their own - Slimeballs. Logical, really I suppose.
The world should embrace snails!

No comments: